We believe that the packaging industry must move beyond the make/use/dispose behaviors of the past and actively work toward, and advocate for, a circular economy.
Circular Economy Contributions
Partnering for a more sustainable future
We’re working to understand the current landscape within the packaging sector related to circular principles, and we are integrating these principles into our innovation processes.
Collaboration is essential to achieving a more circular economy, so we work with partners, suppliers and customers who share our vision for a more circular economy.
Aptar has joined the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) and the Ellen MacArthur Foundation’s Circular Economy 100 (CE100) Network. Through the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, we’ve signed the New Plastics Economy Global Commitment to address plastic waste and pollution at its source.
We’re also excited to partner with Loop – an innovative shopping platform that allows customers to purchase their favorite products in reusable packaging and have them delivered in a Loop tote that eliminates the need for disposable, single-use shipping materials. Once consumers are finished using their products, they simply put them back in the tote and schedule a pick up.
We believe we can improve upon what we understand and what we measure, and we have therefore collaborated on several projects in the circular economy space:
- Leading a recyclability work group with Ellen MacArthur’s CE100 Network
- Piloted Circulytics, a tool from the Ellen MacArthur Foundation that helps companies assess their circularity
- Worked in partnership with WBCSD to develop Circular Transition Indicators (CTI), a quantitative framework that provides additional insights into circular performance while creating a common language to use with internal stakeholders and key decision makers in organizations and sectors of all sizes
- Piloting a Social Organizational Life Cycle Assessment (SO-LCA) tool with the United Nations Environment Programme
- Currently developing a Water Circularity Metric with WBCSD
What we are learning is informing our own targets and initiatives.
Read Our Latest Sustainability Reports
2020 Sustainability Report and GRI Index
2019 Sustainability Report and GRI Index
2018 Sustainability Report and GRI Index
2017 Sustainability Report and GRI Index